Thursday, November 13, 2008

handicapped parking

Greetings all. Today's rant is about handicapped parking.

As most of you have figured out by now, I live in South Florida. To say that we have a high population of elderly people would be like saying that there are a lot of Italians in Italy.

Anyhow...this is my issue...there are way to many people with handicap stickers/tags/miiror tags, that just don't need them. I pulled into my office parking lot and watched an elderly man park in a handicapped space, hang the mirror tag, and just about sprint to the door of the building. Now I may be missing something, but this did not strike me as someone who needs to be parked in a handicap space.

I think that doctors are way too lenient with giving those placards to people and that there should be better management of them. I can't tell you how many times I see people who *clearly* do not need it, park in handicapped spots. I wonder how many who really need it, are subjected to parking with the rest of us *healthy* people.

The sense of entitlement that so many people exhibit is disgraceful. If you have a real need, than by all means, you should have the advantage. But you doctors that give a tag that's valid for a year because Aunt Mable has a bunion removed, is just wrong.

Can I tell you how many times I see some kid getting out of what must be grandpa's lexus just so they can park closer to the movie theater entrance? That should be a ticketable offense. But that's another issue, the cops are already over-worked, so we have to have another solution to that one.

So what would I change? Glad you asked...

Temporary handicap tags should be valid for the shortest amount of time - say a month. after that, it has to be renewed *IN PERSON* If you can't renew in person, than you should not be out driving, in the first place.

No more handicap license plates. Only use mirror tags.

Now that everyone has a mirror hanger, we make all handicap tags with photos on them. If the person for whom the tag was issued is not in the car, than you can't use it.

So that's my issue for today. Thanks for reading.

No comments: